Masonlar.org - Harici Forumu

Gönderen Konu: How did it all start?  (Okunma sayısı 12156 defa)

0 Üye ve 1 Ziyaretçi konuyu incelemekte.

Eylül 27, 2006, 06:15:13 ös
  • Administrator
  • Uzman Uye
  • İleti: 9553
  • Cinsiyet: Bay
    • Masonluk, Masonlardan Öğrenilmelidir

History of Freemasonry

No one knows with certainty how or when the Masonic Fraternity was formed. A widely accepted theory among Masonic scholars is that it arose from the stonemasons’ guilds during the Middle Ages. The language and symbols used in the fraternity’s rituals come from this era. The oldest document that makes reference to Masons is the Regius Poem, printed about 1390, which was a copy of an earlier work. In 1717, four lodges in London formed the first Grand Lodge of England, and records from that point on are more complete.

Within thirty years, the fraternity had spread throughout Europe and the American Colonies. Freemasonry became very popular in colonial America. George Washington was a Mason, Benjamin Franklin served as the head of the fraternity in Pennsylvania, as did Paul Revere and Joseph Warren in Massachusetts. Other well-known Masons involved with the founding of America included John Hancock, John Sullivan, Lafayette, Baron Fredrick von Stuben, Nathanael Greene, and John Paul Jones. Another Mason, Chief Justice John Marshall, shaped the Supreme Court into its present form.

Over the centuries, Freemasonry has developed into a worldwide fraternity emphasizing personal study, self-improvement, and social betterment via individual involvement and philanthropy. During the late 1700s it was one of the organizations most responsible for spreading the ideals of the Enlightenment: the dignity of man and the liberty of the individual, the right of all persons to worship as they choose, the formation of democratic governments, and the importance of public education. Masons supported the first public schools in both Europe and America.

During the 1800s and early 1900s, Freemasonry grew dramatically. At that time, the government had provided no social "safety net". The Masonic tradition of founding orphanages, homes for widows, and homes for the aged provided the only security many people knew.

Today in North America, the Masonic Fraternity continues this tradition by giving almost $1.5 million each day to causes that range from operating children’s hospitals, providing treatment for childhood language disorders, treating eye diseases, funding medical research, contributing to local community service, and providing care to Masons and their families at Masonic Homes.

The four million Masons worldwide continue to help men and women face the problems of the 21st century by building bridges of brotherhood and instilling in the hearts of men ideals for a better tomorrow.
- Sahsima ozel mesaj atmadan once Yonetim Hiyerarsisini izleyerek ilgili yoneticiler ile gorusunuz.
- Masonluk hakkinda ozel mesaj ile bilgi, yardim ve destek sunulmamaktadir.
- Sorunuz ve mesajiniz hangi konuda ise o konudan sorumlu gorevli yada yonetici ile gorusunuz. Sahsim, butun cabalarinizdan sonra gorusmeniz gereken en son kisi olmalidir.
- Sadece hicbir yoneticinin cozemedigi yada forumda asla yazamayacaginiz cok ozel ve onemli konularda sahsima basvurmalisiniz.
- Masonluk ve Masonlar hakkinda bilgi almak ve en onemlisi kisisel yardim konularinda tarafima dogrudan ozel mesaj gonderenler cezalandirilacaktir. Bu konular hakkinda gerekli aciklama forum kurallari ve uyelik sozlesmesinde yeterince acik belirtilmsitir.

Kasım 14, 2006, 06:00:33 ös
Yanıtla #1
  • Ziyaretçi

Robinson, in his book "Born in Blood" kind of ties it with the templars. I recommend the book.

Kasım 14, 2006, 07:10:32 ös
Yanıtla #2
  • Administrator
  • Uzman Uye
  • İleti: 9553
  • Cinsiyet: Bay
    • Masonluk, Masonlardan Öğrenilmelidir

i have also found some evidence which (kinda) proves that Masonry was involved in Egyptian history too. Soon im gonna post it in "Private Scottish Rite Section"
- Sahsima ozel mesaj atmadan once Yonetim Hiyerarsisini izleyerek ilgili yoneticiler ile gorusunuz.
- Masonluk hakkinda ozel mesaj ile bilgi, yardim ve destek sunulmamaktadir.
- Sorunuz ve mesajiniz hangi konuda ise o konudan sorumlu gorevli yada yonetici ile gorusunuz. Sahsim, butun cabalarinizdan sonra gorusmeniz gereken en son kisi olmalidir.
- Sadece hicbir yoneticinin cozemedigi yada forumda asla yazamayacaginiz cok ozel ve onemli konularda sahsima basvurmalisiniz.
- Masonluk ve Masonlar hakkinda bilgi almak ve en onemlisi kisisel yardim konularinda tarafima dogrudan ozel mesaj gonderenler cezalandirilacaktir. Bu konular hakkinda gerekli aciklama forum kurallari ve uyelik sozlesmesinde yeterince acik belirtilmsitir.

Kasım 14, 2006, 08:46:31 ös
Yanıtla #3
  • Ziyaretçi

Cool :) I think every fraternal order borrowed something from each other.

Ocak 14, 2007, 04:45:23 ös
Yanıtla #4
  • Ziyaretçi

The story of "The Four Old Lodges" meeting in a tavern in London in 1717 and that this meeting marked the beginning of organised Freemasonry in England, cannot be substantiated.

Of the four Lodges, only two existed in 1717.  The third was not constituted until 1723 and there are no records whatsoever of the fourth.  The beginning of The London Grand Lodge which legislated for Lodges in and around London ".. within the Bills of Mortality" (within 10 miles of London) was the date of publication of Anderson's first Book of Constitutions, 1723.  The story of "The Four Old Lodges" appeared in his second Book of Constitutions, published much later.

Organised Speculative Freemasonry in England began in 1544 or earlier.  This is clearly evidenced by the permission granted to the Old Grand Lodge at York by Queen Elizabeth I " ... to continue to meet" in York.

Ocak 26, 2007, 04:58:31 ös
Yanıtla #5
  • Ziyaretçi

The book Hiram Key digs down even more and tries to establish a time line since prophet Jesus Christ. Kind of like Priory Sion. I have not been able to finish the book yet, so I really can not comment on it.

Ocak 26, 2007, 05:33:31 ös
Yanıtla #6
  • Ziyaretçi

Brother, the book The Hiram Key is written like a degree ceremony.  The last third of the book is the explanation and you will find it becomes easier reading.

Although as a Grand Lodge we do not comment on the theories expounded by the book itself, it is a major work of Masonic research and no harm can come from reading it and it certainly provokes a great deal of thought and discussion.

Although not a member of The Grand Lodge of All England at York, one of our great supporters is the author, Bro. Dr. Bob Lomas.  He is currently working on the third book in the Hiram Key trilogy, and from hat he tells me in is going to be well worth the read.

This quote may be of interest to all.

Alıntı
"The early history of Freemasonry is linked to the history of the trade groups, Roman Collegia, brotherhoods and corporations.  The trades started to organise themselves in the thirteenth century.  The first mention of Freemasonry is to be found in an English document of 1376, and again in 1396 in a document of the Archbishop of Canterbury.  Freemasonry was never exclusively operative.  Religious and initiatory aspects always went alongside the concrete, professional transmission of technical skills and the defence of the interest of members, as we know them today as trade unions.  The organisations also helped the members in distress, provided charity, and looked after the good behaviour of the initiates.  This dual nature of the movement became more visible with the admission of "accepted", non-operative members.  As a result the lodges became meeting points for the trade people and men of culture.  The decrease in the number of big building sites, such as those for new cathedrals, and the Renaissance, led to the decline of the brotherhoods, leaving more room for the speculative Masons in the Lodges."  (SOURCE: Gilles C H Nullens - Annex 2, An Outsiders View of Freemasonry)

This is IMHO the best explanation of the source of what we do, which is "speculative" Freemasonry.

Peter Clatworthy
Grand Lodge of All England

Ocak 26, 2007, 07:01:48 ös
Yanıtla #7
  • Ziyaretçi

Thank you very much for the information.
We are all on a quest for more light, and your contributions are appreciated.
I would love to hear your comments about Born in Blood.
« Son Düzenleme: Ocak 26, 2007, 07:04:30 ös Gönderen: fbracer »

Ocak 26, 2007, 07:31:34 ös
Yanıtla #8
  • Ziyaretçi

A reference to our website www.grandlodgeofallengland.org may help you to see how organised speculative Freemasonry came about in England.  I recommend a few minutes to read the webpage Grand Lodges in England.

As far as "Born in Blood" is concerned, if there were direct Knights Templar connections with Freemasonry, IMHO it was probably in Scotland. I must say that I have grave doubts about this theory and, of course, as far as we can see modern Knights Templars have no direct connection with the original Crusaders.

Two roads, one destiny.

Ocak 26, 2007, 08:44:29 ös
Yanıtla #9
  • Ziyaretçi

Thanks, I'll check it out.